City Council position #1 was vacated by former Councilmember Jeffrey Vaughan, who moved out of state, effective June 15, 2022. RCW 42.12.070 requires that the City Council appoint a new councilmember to fill the vacant position within 90 days of the vacancy (by Tuesday, Sept. 13).
The appointed councilmember will serve until Dec. 31, 2023. The seat will be open for the November 2023 General Election, and the person elected will fulfill the remainder of the original term ending Dec. 31, 2025.
City Council appointment process
- Online applications are available at https://www.marysvillewa.gov/954/Vacant---Pos-1 and must be submitted by 5 p.m. Thursday, July 7.
- Paper applications are available at Marysville City Hall, 1049 State Ave., from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday (excluding the July 4 holiday). Paper applications must be returned to City Hall before 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 7.
- Candidate interviews will be held in two parts:
- A “meet and greet” for the City Council and candidates will take place from 5:45 to 6:45 p.m. on Monday, July 11. During the regular Council meeting starting at 7 p.m. on July 11, each candidate will be allowed to provide a statement.
- The City Council will interview candidates at its regular Council meeting starting at 7 p.m. on Monday, July 25. The Council intends to appoint the new Councilmember at that meeting.