Who decides where a sex offender may live?

The Marysville Police Department has no legal authority to direct where sex offenders may or may not live. Currently in Washington State, there is no law or statute regarding where sex offenders may or may not reside; unless court-ordered restrictions exist, the offender is constitutionally free to live wherever they choose.

If a sex offender is on active probation through the Washington State Department of Corrections, they can have restrictions on where they live and where they can go (such as parks, malls, etc.) and who they can have contact with, i.e. minors; however those restrictions are lifted once the sex offender has completed his community custody. For more information about sex offenders and probation please visit the Department of Corrections website at http://www.doc.wa.gov/corrections/.

Show All Answers

1. What is a sex offender?
2. Who must register as a sex offender?
3. How long must an offender register?
4. What is a risk level?
5. Under what authority is sex offender information released to the public?
6. Who decides where a sex offender may live?
7. Who can I contact to obtain more information regarding Marysville sex offenders?