- Legal Intern Program
Legal Intern and Extern Programs
Description of Position
The City of Marysville’s Rule 9 intern/extern has an opportunity to gain valuable courtroom experience through an internship or externship with the Prosecution Division. This position is year-round and available to paid interns and to externs receiving class credit. Marysville is Snohomish County's second-largest city, and its municipal court serves more than 65,000 residents.
Rule 9's are assigned to the City of Marysville Prosecution Division and will assist the City Prosecutors with their caseloads in municipal court. This division prosecutes all criminal violations of City ordinances, appears in contested civil infractions, and handles appeals of criminal matters.
The Rule 9 internship/externship is demanding, but provides a great amount of in-court practice, educational experience and rewards not frequently offered by other internship programs. Rule 9's may work on the following types of tasks:
- Appear in court for arraignments, pretrial hearings, probation violation hearings, arguing motions, and more.
- Prepare and argue contested infraction hearings in which the defendant has hired private counsel or when an officer has been subpoenaed.
- Assist with trial preparation and, as scheduling permits, participate in jury trials.
- Research legal issues and write briefs.
Intern / Extern Requirements
- Completion of second year of law school – Must be Washington State Rule 9 Eligible
- Must pass a criminal history background check
How to Apply
- Submit a cover letter, resume, reference list, and a writing sample by email to the Marysville Prosecution Division
- Candidates from all law schools are welcome
- All resumes will be reviewed and candidates will be notified if they are selected for an interview
- Accepting intern and externship applications for 2023
Equal Opportunity Employer: Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or disability.
- If working during the school year, your work schedule can be arranged to accommodate your class schedule
- Upon the conclusion of an internships it may be converted to paid a externship
Reasonable Accommodation: If requested, the City of Marysville may provide reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities during the selection process. Please contact Human Resources at 360-363-8000.